The Khan Academy videos in your Pocket
Plug and Play, Simple, Compact, offline server solutions to play Khan Academy where no Internet access is available.
This offline and compact Khan Academy solution includes almost 3,000 selected Khan Academy video lectures on Math and Science, which can be used also as a local server, having its content played by students not just from modern browsers on personal computers but also from mobile devices like iPads, iPhones and hundreds of Android devices.
Available as well a Spanish version, KA-Stick en Español, including more than 2,800 selected Khan Academy video lectures in Spanish on Math and Science.
Now with the latest August 2013 version put together by Jonathan Field, beautifully organized from the ground up in a very user-friendly format. The best looking Khan Academy on a Stick collection ever!
It comes in 2 configurations:
1 - KA-Stick: Memory Stick for Windows computers.
It fits into a 16 GB flash memory USB card, which when plugged into a Windows computer or laptop will let you not just play the Khan Academy content on it, but also, if connected to a local network (like in a school or community center), wired or wirelessly, use the same computer to act as a web server, serving the Khan Academy content to any other computer or device on the same network.
There is nothing to install at all in the PC or laptop. Everything runs from the external memory stick, which includes a web server and other tools.
Read in the How-To page how to download this version, make your own KA-Stick and use it.
For the Spanish version, see the Spanish version How-To page.
2 - KA-Pi: Khan Academy on a Raspberry Pi.
A server solution running from a green, low-power and very compact Raspberry Pi computer. EASY: Just download the KA-Pi SD card image, write it to a 16GB SD card, plug the SD card in your Raspberry Pi, and you are all set. The SD card includes the operating system, a web server and the Khan Academy content, all preconfigured and ready to run.
And now you can even use the same KA-Pi to act as a Wi-Fi hotspot!
Check the details of this version in the KA-Pi site.
What is Khan Academy?
Khan Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org) is a world-class and award-winning online library created by Salman Khan, which contains thousands of very high quality video lectures available for free to any Internet user.
What is included in "Khan Academy on a Stick"?
- This version contains the following Math and Science lectures, from khanacademy.org:
- Differential Equations
- Organic Chemistry
- Cosmology and Astronomy
- Healthcare and medicine
- You can see a live online sample of the content in English at ko.mujica.org
What is included in "Khan Academy on a Stick en Español"?
- This version contains the following Math and Science lectures in Spanish, from khanacademy.org:
- Ecuaciones Diferenciales
- Química Orgánica
- Cosmología y astronomía
- Salud y Medicina
- You can see a live online sample of the content in Spanish at khan-esp.mujica.org
Why would people need "Khan Academy on a Stick"?
- The Khan Academy web site videos are hosted online in YouTube, and are available for free to anyone, anywhere; as long as you have an active Internet connection.
- Unfortunately in the world there are still large number of regions and communities with no Internet access at all, or in many other cases if they have Internet connectivity the available bandwidth is unusable for most practical purposes, much less to download videos.
- Or Internet connectivity is too expensive.
- Or a school or community has good Internet connectivity but for some reason access to YouTube is blocked.
How do I get and use Khan Academy on a Stick?
For the KA-Stick version just follow the instructions and step by step examples in the HOW-TO page.
For the KA-Pi (Khan Academy on a Raspberry Pi) version visit the KA-Pi site.
Who did and maintains Khan Academy on a Stick? And other details
Read about this and more in the About page.
Is this offline compendium of Khan Academy content under any license?
Yes. Please read the details in the About page.